26.3.10

I attempted my first cap/kapp today.Initially I had intended to make a ragdoll for my soon approaching installation but that plan flew away.I suppose I can be excused since I have been practicing log cabin squares. The pattern was casually based on this one and this one which appears to be inspired by this pattern. This link seems good too, as is most of this one (not the end bit though!) and this one.This one seems ok, but differs in cut.This one is a snood.This pattern is the best wine until last.

Please be kind and ignore that big hairpin and the ugly loose threads.The kapp came out slightly too small, the band needs to be longer and maybe a bit wider.Still I am happy with my test piece.It's so light that I cannot feel it on my head.I had always wondered why women in old paintings wore more than one kapp and now I know why.One kapp in a time of no central heating would not be warm enough!

3 comments:

  1. Searcher27.3.10

    I had intended to suggest at some stage that if a veil was too politically and religiously charged in Ireland (and given the recent veil mishap), why not try the traditional prayer cap. Seems like you have already thought of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have inspired me, I am really exited to try making a cap now... Let's just see when I will have time to buy fabric and actually sew it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Searcher I think a kapp may be too distinctive and too costume like.This was just a test piece.

    Elin I'm glad I inspired you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello.I love to comments so comment away!